It’s that time of year where the air is crisp, and the tears are many. In other words, it’s #cries4days! Just this morning I was sitting outside my classroom right before I took my exam, and instead of studying I was people watching. So many students were running around panicking, and I discovered today’s most popular saying, “‘Did you study? …. ‘No!’… ‘Did you?’… ‘No’”, and I found it interesting how so many people were experiencing the same panic mode. Thus, the question becomes, why do so many college students stress about midterms if they don’t even study?
I made my next great discovery right before I took my first exam. The same conversations were happening! People were finding comfort in the fact that others had not studied for the exam and were experiencing the same #cries4days feeling. While I did study for the test, I too began to feel the panic of the dreaded midterm. So, how are we to cope with such stress? Below I have developed my own list of ideas on how one can and ease through midterms.
My top 10 Tips for midterm survival:
- Study! They may say that they don’t study, but more than likely others reviewed the material at least once.
- Don’t just read the vocab! This is a lesson I had to learn the hard way. Dig into the material, and don’t overlook names in the textbook. Sadly, the names will show up on the exam.
- Act like you know what you are doing! Confidence can get you a long way.
- Take study breaks! It is best to study 30 min at a time over a longer period of time, rather than cramming 4 chapters of material, with as many pages as the Bible, at the last minute.
- Reward yourself! Studying is hard work, and you disserve to hang out with friends at the end of the day!
- Have someone quiz you! Studying works best when you try to learn the material in several different ways. Don’t get stuck in the “I am a _____ learner”! You are an everything learner.
- Try to teach an imaginary, or real, audience! Sometimes the easiest way to learn is simply by teaching others.
- Don’t put yourself down! It may be hard, but stay positive, even if you have to retake the class you will get the material in God’s time.
- Relax! Trust in yourself!
- Pray! God is the answer, and He can help you through the ups and downs of your studies.
Please comment below with any tips you may have, or tips that you found helpful!